Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Happy Birthday A.A. Milne!

Mr. Milne
Alan Alexander Milne was born in London on January 18, 1882.  He is perhaps the best known author of childrens' books,  which include Winnie the Pooh and House at Pooh Corner. He created endearing and enduring characters.


Until I started researching it, I had no idea that Milne's son's name was Christopher Robin (though the book's character's last name is Robbin).  His son's stuffed bear, Winnie the Pooh, was named after a bear, albeit at a black one, at the London Zoo.


Who doesn't love Tigger, Piglet, Kanga and Roo and, of course, Pooh and his relentless quest for Hunny?  Perhaps because I'm cynical and sometimes called a pessimist, I'm drawn to lovable Eeyore.



When my daughter was about 4 or 5, we would sometimes read a Pooh story at night.  One evening, I read a sentence that ended  "Eeyore said glumly. " Confused by the placement of the adverb, she began to call the character, "Glumly" - and we still do to this day.

At Epcot in 1991, I took this photo of my husband, decidedly not a pessimist, with Eeyore (later aka Glumly).

So, Happy Birthday, Mr. Milne and thank you for your wonderful perspective on how children see the world and thanks for Glumly, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment