Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Birthday Party Idea - Edition 2

Nowadays you can  probably find a plethora of cute rock climbing party invitations, but 9 or 10 years ago the best I could do was a sheet of scrapbook paper that looked like rocks.  I then printed the party details on a white sheet of paper, centered it and used rubber cement to adhere it to the scrapbook paper and then color copied it.  The invitation read:

As [insert name] ascends to the age of nine, we hope you'll join us
for a birthday climb. 


We held the party at a local rock climbing facility (with waivers required for all the participants).  I later thought an outdoor hike or a climb up Georgia's Stone Mountain, weather permitting, would have been fun too.

Stone Mountain is about 25 minutes from our home.

The party began immediately after school. The young urban professionals, who enjoy practicing climbing rock faces, don't usually arrive until the end of the work day so we had the place all to ourselves.  There was plenty of staff help and lots of the girls' moms who stayed around to encourage and cheer (and perhaps bit their nails).

I ordered a sheet cake from Kroger (it's an easy guess no gourmand cakes for us).  I asked them just to use a gray airbrush-type frosting and to keep the cake very simple.  Using gourmet jelly beans I decorated the cake to look like a rock climbing wall and added two small plastic, bendable mountaineers I found online.

The cake propped up against the bakery box.

Hindsight being 20/20 I would have turned the cake vertically and omitted the piping along the edge.  

Rock candy and caribiners served as party favors.
Needless to say, the party was thrilling 

My daughter and husband race to the the top.


and challenging

My five year old needs convincing that harnesses really do work.  What can I say?  He takes after his mother.

and fun. 

All safely on the ground, a hug for the birthday girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment