Friday, September 9, 2011

Grandparents' Day





I must confess, I thought Grandparents' Day was the creation of the folks at Hallmark.  But no, truth be told, 32 years ago President Jimmy Carter proclaimed the first Sunday after Labor Day, Grandparents' Day.  This year it falls on September 11th.  


(L) Bessie and Herbert McKenzie and (R) Ellen and Marshall Harrison
on my wedding day, June 23, 1990.  Having all 4 of my grandparents at my wedding
was (an understatement) excellent.
And though the parents of my mother and father have been gone more than ten years, I still remember them often and really miss them.  I am so thankful to have had dear and loving grandparents.  


Here's a few special photos of the other "grand" folks in our lives:


McKenzie with "Grandmother".  Her husband, Jim, is  also like a grandfather to our children.
McKenzie and Tate with "Grandfather"


My kids' "Pop" and "Nan"


Tate with "Pop" (I added this photo of the two of them looking at a book because it's adorable).
and also, 
My husband's maternal grandmother and grandfather, Ruth and Earl Tuck.
"Grandma" Tuck passed away just last summer. 
So this weekend, I hope those fortunate enough, like me, to have or have had terrific grandparents, will celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment