Monday, January 9, 2012

National Apricot Day


Who knew something as obscure an an apricot would have it's own day?  On second thought, perhaps something as "obscure" as an apricot needs it's own day -- a way of calling attention to this member of the plum family.  


My extensive research (okay, I Googled apricot) tells me apricot means "precious" in Latin and that 95% of all apricots are grown in California, yet I'm fairly certain I'd never even eaten an apricot before a friend gave me this recipe.  This simple list of ingredients changed all that for me.  Because, you see, this recipe, which I call Frozen Apricot Salad, makes 36 servings (yes, you read that correctly, 3 - 6) and it's delicious.  


You will need:


1 can (12 oz) frozen orange juice, thawed
2 juice can of water (12 oz)
1 cup of sugar (I use Splenda instead)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 can (17 oz) crushed pineapple with juice
2 can (17 oz each) apricots, drained, then chopped
6 bananas, diced


Combine all ingredients.  Spoon into paper muffins cups then set in muffin tins.  Freeze.  Remove paper wrapper and place in freezer safe sealable bags until ready to serve. 


Here's a printable copy of the recipe (and might I add, hooray to the non-tech-saavy me for figuring this out!)


A little bit icy, but still delicious
I take a few out of the freezer at a time just before a meal, usually while I am setting the table (they do need to thaw a bit, so they are easy to eat). 


In my grandmother's little parfait glass.  Cute (or should I say, precious?) and delicious.
Trust me when I say, they are a delightful way to end any meal.  We especially love these in the winter when good fresh fruit is expensive and difficult to find.   Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment