Saturday, January 29, 2011

Happy (belated) Pop Art Day


I am very traditional in my decorating choices. The furnishings in our house are conventional and not cutting-edge, in any way.  For example: 

An example of my traditional style.  This painting and bench are at the top of the stairs  in our house.

But, inside me exists a contemporary, modern, trend-driven sensibility longing to escape.  

That’s why I'm glad to know that yesterday was National Pop Art Day and that there's a special day to acknowledge the works of artists like Lichtenstein and Warhol.  

Too bad, I missed it.  If I hadn't missed it, however, I would have mentioned that pop art is art based on modern popular culture and the mass media and I’ve always really loved it.  

This pop art version of our dog, Libby, was a gift to our daughter for her 13th birthday
Here are a couple of the best known works of the pop art movement:

by Andy Warhol
(It's funny that January is also National Soup Month)

by Roy Lichtenstein
I found this cool free pop art app on my iPhone.  Look what I did.  



Hey, I think I'm on to something and it's cheaper than redecorating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment