Tuesday, February 1, 2011

National Baked Alaska Day

Wow!  I've only been writing this blog for about 6 weeks and I'm already writing my second post about Alaska.  Okay, not really Alaska, but the delicious, seemingly far-flung dessert, Baked Alaska. Which has it's own day to celebrate -- today.  


Confession:  I have only had Baked Alaska once.  That was on a family cruise we took in 2004.  

I love this because when I was a little girl, had I given it any thought, perhaps the only thing I would have considered more exotic and extravagant than taking a cruise (I'm talking about before Love Boat), was Baked Alaska.  

Photo of my husband and daughter taken by a cruise ship photographer

But, since there's nothing like an all inclusive meal plan to get you try something you've always wanted to try -- we ordered Baked Alaska. I'm happy to report that we liked it, all of us. But maybe that is because it was flaming when our waiter brought it to our table!  In fact, we liked it so much we ordered two.  (Remember it was "all inclusive")

Let's face it, what's not to like, really?  Sponge cake, Neapolitan ice cream (at least in the one we had) with warm, sugary meringue on top.  Those snow caps never looked better. 

And should you want to try it yourself today, here are a couple of recipes, one super easy and another with a video tutorial.  And, who knew?  You can change-it-up and use brownies or any flavor of ice cream you like.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment