Thursday, March 31, 2011

La Tour Eiffel

Our daughter took these lovely photos - April 2010

One hundred and twenty-two years ago today the Eiffel Tower was opened to the public.  

The most iconic edifice in the world is beautiful, an engineering feat.  


So, it is regrettable to have to admit that although I have had the good fortune of traveling to Paris twice in the past 25 years, I have never actually been in/on the Eiffel Tower.  

My first trip, just after college, I didn't think I could afford the, what I considered, hefty admission price. So, I was satisfied standing on the ground admiring its beauty and grandeur.  Truthfully, I wasn't heartbroken.  I know I must have felt that I most certainly would be back - sooner rather than later and then I could, if I wanted to, take the ride to the top.  

In front of the Eiffel Tower in May 1986.








Imagine my utter disappointment when last year on my second trip to France, an electrical workers strike "short-circuited" (pun intended) our visit. The Tower was closed during our entire 3-day stay in Paris. 


 

I hope to return one day, sooner rather than later, and ascend to the top, taking nothing for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment