Friday, December 14, 2012

This Year's Christmas Tree




Based upon the number of needles this "evergreen" is dropping on a daily basis, I'm guessing she'd been patiently waiting at Home Depot (for dupable folks like us) since early November. We rescued her last Saturday (a late tannenbaum acquisition even for us).

But the story gets better. You knew it would, right?  I wrestled for quite some time with countless strands of Christmas lights (darn that Martha Stewart for saying "100 lights for every foot of tree" and on me for being so OCD that I am certain she is correct) and two strands of Christmas lights had some sort of weird electrical short and couldn't be persuaded to stay lit (after they were fully enshrouded in our tree - a rookie mistake, I know). Rather then lose countless hours of sleep for the next 3 weeks (wondering if I'd created a fire hazard), I ended up taking those strings of lights off  the tree (along with a few thousand additional Frazier fir needles) and went with what we had.

Finally, to add insult to injury, we had to forgo the heaviest of our ornaments because the tree didn't seem up to the task of supporting any additional weight.  My apologies to Yoda, my icicle snowman, Tinkerbell, the toy airplane and those countless sentimental ornaments who didn't make their way onto this year's tree.

At the rate we're going, our tree will look like this before December 24th.



No comments:

Post a Comment