Thursday, December 30, 2010

A New Year’s Tradition (Minus the Guilt). You’re Welcome.



I know making resolutions is part of almost everyone’s New Year’s celebration.  I’ve been known to resolve a thing or two myself. But like most people, three weeks into January I’m struggling with making those big and small changes and with the guilt of not making those big and small changes. 


So for the last dozen and a half years, my husband and I have made New Year’s predictions, in addition to our resolutions. 


Our predictions generally center around things like politics, sports, the financial markets and celebrities (okay, those are my predictions because my husband knows very little about the comings and goings in Hollywood). 


We like to predict the winners and the losers of: elections, sporting events; like the World Series (a tough one when the first pitch is still 4 months away- but the Yankees are always a safe bet), where the stock market will end up and whose “star” will rise and whose will fall. 


We make some of our own personal predictions too. e.g., a change of jobs, a new undertaking.  It’s a lot more fun and without the pangs of conscience.  When we were younger, we’d predict the gender of our pregnant friends’ unborn babies, who'd get engaged that year and things like that too. 


Your assignment, should you choose to accept it,  should include writing down your predictions.  Half the fun is taking out the previous year's list  on New Year’s Eve and assessing your prognosticating skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment