Monday, March 7, 2011

Mardi Gras



Tomorrow is the last day of the Mardi Gras season.     

And though my husband spent his last two years of high school in Louisiana and a good friend grew up in New Orleans,  I have to admit, I was never intrigued by the celebration that is until our trip to Louisiana last fall when my interest was peeked.
My daughter and husband look out over Lake Pontchartrain.
Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, celebrations outside of Louisiana are no doubt mostly limited to expatriates, though you can sometimes see evidence of those longing for life in the Pelican State (or maybe just those who appreciate a good party) in other places.   

For example yesterday, just a few streets over from my house, I spotted this:






I couldn't resist the urge to stop and take a few photos.  I bet these folks are fun!

In our local grocery stores at this time of year, you can find King Cake in the bakery section (or you can make your own) and this will be our own little taste of Mardi Gras.


I have to say, the notion of the King Cake and it's baby Jesus (remember my nativity infatuation?) is really special and a tradition, Louisianan or not, that I'm happy to adopt. 

"Laissez les bon temps rouler"

No comments:

Post a Comment