Tuesday, November 15, 2011

America Recycles Day



Confession:  I am not very green.  I drive an SUV, I don't shun animal tested products, I don't know anything about carbon footprints.  Despite my best efforts, I often forget my reuseable grocery bags and I abhor compact fluorescent lightbulbs.  Also, I have never seen An Inconvenient Truth.

I do, however, proudly recycle.  I recycle cardboard, glass, plastic and aluminum.  My city makes it easy because they offer this service for, what I consider, a nominal fee.  Twice a week these items are picked up curbside.

How many blogs contain a photo of trash/recycling cans? You're welcome.
My husband thinks my recycling efforts are a bit silly.  In the scheme of things, he insists, it doesn't make that big a difference. But, I tell him, collectively, we all make a difference.  Besides it sets a good example (for my children especially) and others.  I think being even a meager steward of the environment is important.  

I was feeling pretty smug about my determined efforts to help the environment, until I saw this documentary, a few weeks ago .  Thanks to the Oprah Winfrey Network (which aired the film), these days I'm feeling almost criminal when using a styrofoam cup or eating a hamburger (believe it or not, beef consumption is bad for the environment).  

All the same, today I am going to work to be proud of the very, very small part I do to leave the world a bit less impacted by my existence, and I hope you will too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment