Monday, November 14, 2011

Claude Monet's birthday



Today we celebrate the birthday of one of the world's best artists and perhaps it's best known impressionist, Claude Monet.  

Though I am partial to the work of Manet and Cassatt, there's no denying the popularity and ubiquitousness of Monet's paintings, especially the water lilies and haystacks.




I prefer Monet's early work, his beautiful ladies in hats with parasols, French flags and scenes by the water.






This is my favorite of my favorites.  
Confession:  I took an Art History class, Impressionism, in college.  In a moment of ridiculousness (along with my decision to take Economics), I elected to take the class pass/fail.  I loved the class, and though I have few creative bones in my body, I loved studying the nuances of color and light, the subjects, as well as the biographies of the artists.  By the end of the semester, I had an A in the class, which was too bad, since my grade point average could have used that 4.0. But I learned to love the work of all the impressionists (Renoir, Pissaro, Morisot, etc.) and, in particular, to respect the work of Mr. Monet, who's own work had given the Impression movement it's name.  

So Bon Anniversaire, Mr. Monet, and Merci.  

No comments:

Post a Comment