Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Christmas Crafty



When I decided to start writing this blog . . . eons, okay 3 days go, I didn't envision it being a Christmas blog -- after all, who'd read that when July gets here?  But because the next 18 days will travel by in lighting speed, I thought perhaps I'd include a fun, easy, cheap, quick and cute (if I do say so myself) Christmas craft that I recently stumbled upon.

I love crafts and craft stores but the truth is I'm only so-so at it.  When my genie with the magic 3 wish lantern appears, I'm definitely wishing for craft skills like these http://www.bakerella.com/category/pops-bites/cake-pops/.  Until then, when I find something that I can do with relative competence,  I latch on and don't let go. In fact, I'll probably be creating these same candy bar snowmen for my fellow nursing home residents 40 years from now!  Anyway,  this year I produced 16 of these Snowman Candy Bar party favors for my son's class Christmas Party.

The directions are easy (I know I already said that, but they really are).  I used standard size Hershey chocolate bars and wrapped them in white copy paper (I used 24# paper because it's heavier and seemed to look better).  I used a black ink pad and my pinky (sorry, Martha) to create "charcoal" eyes and mouths.  Now I'm thinking an eraser tip would have worked better and looked more uniform.  I haphazardly cut "carrot" noses from orange construction paper - no two noses are exactly alike anyway, right?  Glued those on.  Then I used 1/8" red satin ribbon for the scarf -- yarn would have been cute here too, but I didn't have any.  Anyway, I think they turned out swell.  You should give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment