Saturday, December 11, 2010

More Christmas Craftiness



I don't remember the source of the idea for this great block Christmas tree. I created mine more than 10 years ago.  I am thinking it may have originated in Southern Living.   I had a lot of help from a super talented friend (who has great spatial and pre-planning craft skills  - which I don't) creating this one.

It is, without a doubt, my most favorite Christmas decoration.  It is the first thing I take out of it's box as I begin my holiday decorating and the last thing I put away. It holds a place of honor at the center of our kitchen table. 

I used approximately 3 boxes of children's blocks, my glue gun and countless glue sticks to create this tree, which stands about 12 inches tall.  I purchased the angel on top and several of the toys from a local craft store.  Some of the most precious toys, like these:
The bow on this package is a work of art

Children's watercolor paint set complete with glass and paint brush

were created by my aunt - a very gifted, and at one-time professional, crafter. 

Truthfully, the  photos don't do it justice.  Many of the blocks are strategically placed (vertically, horizontally and diagonally) to spell holiday words as well as all our names, first and last.  The bottom row says "MERRY CHRISTMAS."  Okay, honestly, it says "MERRY CHRISTMAS NAIL" the nail part being completely unintentional (see I told you I wasn't a pre-planner).  If you look closely you will see that have generously shared my mistake with you in this photo.  


My kids love to call this to my attention on a regular basis,  "Hahaha, Merry Christmas Nail!"

No comments:

Post a Comment