Tuesday, December 21, 2010

An Easy Christmas Salad

If you’re making Christmas dinner or heading to a relative’s house for a celebration, here’s a tasty, fail-proof and abundant side dish  that I make every year.   It’s  festive-looking (think Christmas confetti) and delicious.


Object in photo is more delicious than it appears

Perhaps best of all, because it’s technically a relish, it can be made days (up to a week) ahead, kept in the refrigerator and enjoyed later. And though I don’t have any empirical evidence, I am guessing it’s a fairly low-cal and low-fat (though perhaps high sodium -  because of the canned vegetables) recipe.

You will need:



1 15 oz. can white corn - whole kernel
1 15 oz. can French-style green beans
1 8.5 oz can Leseur very young small peas
1 chopped green pepper*
1 cup chopped celery
1 small red onion, chopped (the one in the photo is not small, so I used < 1/2)
1 small jar chopped pimentos (optional)*

*I don't use pimentos and instead use 1/2 chopped green and 1/2 chopped red pepper

Drain juice from canned vegetables, chop remaining and mix all vegetables together in large bowl.

For the dressing, in another bowl mix together




1/2 c. sugar (I substitute Splenda and use a little less)
1/2 c. vinegar
1/2 c. oil (I use vegetable oil)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Combine vegetable mixture and dressing and refrigerate overnight.

P.S.  This is not going to be a cooking blog but I couldn't resist sharing these fool proof recipes the last two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment