Monday, February 7, 2011

Happy Birthday Laura Ingalls Wilder

I don't know why she's not smiling.  After all, she brought so much joy to her readers, including me.
Today is the birthday of one of my childhood heroes - Laura Ingalls Wilder, author of the Little House series.


When I was 10, 11 and 12, I soaked in the words of her nine-book series, over and over again. I imagined myself in the big snows of Minnesota  and longed to ride in a covered wagon.  I wish we'd had family friends like Mr. Edwards, I was intrigued by names like Almanzo and Royal and I knew people like Nellie Oleson.


That Mrs. Wilder didn't even begin to write down her stories until she was in her 60s makes her even more remarkable.

Original cover of the book

So thanks so much Laura Ingalls Wilder, for your vivid stories of life on the plains which still seem so real more than 130 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment