Thursday, February 10, 2011

Love Potion



Because my husband and I met on the 11th of February, we've always celebrated that day more than Valentine's Day.  Dinner reservations are more easily made and flowers are not quite so expensive (as they are just a few days later).


Still, I've always loved Valentine's Day -- replete with hearts, cupids, red and pink.  What's a girl not to love? Consequently, for years I agreed to be the Valentine's Party mom for my children's classrooms, providing the snacks and drinks. I looked forward to creating one of my (and crowd pleasing) favorites -  Love Potion, using dry ice.  

This punch bowl is not pink, but some reason (can you say Love Week?) it photographed that way!

I use this big plastic punch bowl I purchased inexpensively at a party store (I never attempted Love Potion in  a glass punch bowl.  I don't own one and toting this one to class parties was much simpler).  

Early on I made fancy multi-ingredient punches.  But after two or three parties, I realized pink lemonade works just as well because the dry ice gets all the attention any way.


Here are some easy to follow instructions for using dry ice and a container in a container.  You can also Google it for additional ideas.  I put my dry ice in a (new) knee high stocking so that I don't have to worry about the kids swallowing any small pieces.  I also create tiny, tiny holes in the stocking so it doesn't float.    Don't forget to use heavy duty gloves for this task -- they are key to the safe handling of the dry ice. 

This is always a HUGE hit with the kids. They are used to seeing a bubbling cauldron at Halloween but a Love Potion at Valentine's Day -- now that's a surprise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment