Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy Birthday Norman Rockwell


This is, without a doubt, my most favorite Norman Rockwell (February 3, 1894 – November 8, 1978) illustration.  Not the least bit rebellious as a child, I'm not exactly sure what it was in this image that appealed to me, but when I received this as a 1000 piece puzzle one Christmas (when I was about 9), I raced to complete it.  

I read not long ago that the school scene in Forrest Gump was modeled after this particular image. It's that endemic in the American psyche.    

In 2000, the Norman Rockwell exhibit came to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, I literally traveled through snow, rain, and  gloom of night to be there.  It was tremendous.  It was heartwarming.  It was everything I had hoped it would be.  

Each image as touching and emblematic as the next. 





You could almost title them yourself.  

Happy 117th Birthday Mr. Rockwell! 

No comments:

Post a Comment