Saturday, February 5, 2011

Super Bowl XLV



That's Super Bowl 45.  (I had to look it up  since I've long forgotten those Roman numerals I learned in third grade math).
 

And tomorrow, Super Bowl Sunday, we'll be watching the game just like 130 million other people. 
 

And, we'll be cheering for the Packers -- the underdogs (winners of 3 previous Super Bowls) over the Steelers (winners of 6). 
 

That's right, the same Packers who beat our hometown Falcons to go to the NFC Championship game a few weeks ago. 
 

The same Packers that once had as their quarterback, Don "The Majik Man" Majkowski.
 

Don and I attended college together (but didn't know each other.  Well, obviously I knew who he was since he was the star of the college football team.   But, he definitely didn't know who I was, though we were once introduced in a downtown college nightspot).  

Don tore a ligament in his ankle in 1993 and was succeeded by Brett Favre who was succeeded by Aaron Rodgers, the Packers current quarterback.  (That's only 4 degrees of separation!)
 

Coincidentally, 15 years later Don's daughter and my son were in kindergarten together in Atlanta.  She gave my son this card as a gift one day.  



What she couldn't have known is that this small token would engender my son's devotion to the team.  He's gotten not one, but two, Green Bay Packers  jerseys in the years since and he'll definitely be part of our pro-Packer crowd on Sunday night. 
 

My son, with our dog, in the first of his two jerseys, gives the Packers the thumbs up.
My daughter tells me that Wiz Khalifa's song about the Steelers, and his hometown of Pittsburgh, is currently in the Top 10 on iTunes. I'm guessing this usurps the Pittsburgh Steeler Polka. (And makes the Steelers, undoubtedly, the only team in the NFL with two anthems).  Add that to Big Ben (Roethlisberger), their winning tradition and the Terrible Towels waved by the legion of Steeler fans (called Steeler Nation) and the challenge will be formidable, but I think the Packers are up to it.

Go Green Bay!

1 comment: