Friday, April 22, 2011

Earth Day


Child of the 70s that I am, I have to acknowledge that today is Earth Day or "International Mother Earth Day" as the United Nations calls it.  

And while I am committed to living green(er) and being a good steward of our planet's natural resources, I reluctantly acknowledge that I still love incandescent light bulbs and drive an SUV. 

I do, however, make every effort to recycle - mostly plastic, glass, aluminum and paper.   And, my Lent commitment was eschewing those plastic grocery bags and using the reusable ones -- even if it meant that when I'd forgotten mine, even mid-shopping excursion, that I'd temporarily abandon my grocery cart to run out to my car to retrieve them.  What I realized (aside from how often I go to the grocery store in a downpour) is how much better that one little act makes me feel.  

A Native American proverb says, "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." That reminded me of this Keep America Beautiful commercial from my childhood.


Happy Earth Day and remember:  Save our planet, it's the only one with chocolate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment