Sunday, April 17, 2011

Easter Sunrise

It's just one more week until Easter and for at least 4 of my 40+ years on Earth, I've done something a little out of the ordinary.  

I have managed to get myself up well before daybreak to enjoy an Easter Sunrise Service. There is something extra special about celebrating Resurrection Sunday with this special rite.
 
The first of my break-of-day Easter experiences was in  the late 80s on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.  If you ever have the opportunity to enjoy the splendor of the sunrise while sitting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, do it!  It is the essence of majestic.  That year Christian musician/trumpeter Phil Driscoll provided the music, it was indescribable. 



Flash forward 7 years and, in 1994, my husband and I had the crazy notion that we'd walk to the top of Georgia's Stone Mountain, 1 year old in tow, and experience an Easter sunrise  service conducted by a local church from atop the world's largest piece of exposed granite.  What we didn't count on was the freezing temperature, the wind, and the toll hiking 1.3 miles up in the dark with a 13 month old would take on all of us. I've filed that experience under "What were we thinking?" in my metaphorical life box!

My husband and daughter pose at the top pf Stone Mountain

The sun begins to rise!
Warming up before we head back down the mountain.
Seemingly undeterred, about 5 years ago, we took a spur of the moment trip  to the gulf coast of Florida for Easter weekend.   We enjoyed the sunrise service on the beach. The kids were at a great age and the message that morning was terrific.  The beauty of the sun rising above the horizon was awe-inspiring.  I've always felt that nowhere else on earth is the power and wonder of the Maker of Heaven and Earth more evident than at the ocean. 


Last year, we decided that our Stone Mountain experience deserved a do-over.  We took the kids and hiked in the dark to the top.  It was enjoyable (and truthfully, knowing that your Sunday best is not required, a relief).  A trip to iHop on the way home was an experience too. 

Stone Mountain

The path to the top of Stone Mountain.  We carried flashlights to make our climbing easier
We're still debating our Easter plans this year, but I haven't ruled out another dawn excursion (though I've been told, i.e., warned, that I may be going by myself).   But, if you haven't ever tried it, you should.  As a worship experience (and memory-maker), it's incredible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment