Saturday, April 23, 2011

Much Ado About a Birthday



When I was in high school, one of my English teachers served birthday cake every year on Shakespeare's birthday.  It was then, after reading A Midsummer Night's Dream, that I first became enamored of the beautiful rhythm of iambic pentameter, Shakespeare's special treatment of the universal themes of good versus evil, unrequited love,uncontrollable jealously and, of course, his sense of humor (his comedies are my favorites). Even decades later, today is not a day that I can go without acknowledging.

So, Happy 447th Birthday Bill!

Later, having carried a hefty Norton Shakespeare around campus for at least one full year of college, I felt compelled to travel to Stratford Upon Avon when I visited England just after graduation.  

I also sought out the original location of The Globe Theatre in London.  At the time, it was more difficult to locate then you would have thought. 

My sister and me at the original site of The Globe Theatre in 1986. 
Twenty-four years later, I had my kids pose in the exact same spot for a photo. 

It's deja-vu all over again!




Today, the plaque above is just a block or two away from this re-creation of The Globe:




and much easier to find. A sight totally worth visiting, even if you're not a "Shakespeareophile" like me.  (I think I may have just invented a word, in which case Mr. Shakespeare would, no doubt, be proud. 

Happy Birthday to the Bard! 

No comments:

Post a Comment